The revival...

By evening today, I gathered enough courage and confidence to perform a surgery on my iPhone to see the damage inside the body and to check if it can be repaired... As I mentioned in my last post, after that careless drop, the camera was malfunctioning and speakers were producing distorted sound.

IMG_4272
This is a pre-operative picture of the phone. You can notice a deep scratch/hole which almost pierced through the body. The dent is not visible in this picture but the area around this scratch is dented by a mm or so.

IMG_4279
While front of the phone has the scratch guard, the back was bare and you can notice so many scratches on it.

IMG_4280
The bottomless phone! It took a while to find a way to open the antenna cover with minimum damage to the body.

IMG_4282
The aluminum back was the easiest to remove. Just unscrew three bottom screws and slide the back to top...

After I opened the back, I checked for any physical damage to the phone. Fortunately,there was no significant damage visible. I checked the camera and it showed no physical damage. There was nothing much I could do on it as it is a surface mounted device.

I checked speakers and found that the packing material which sits between actual speaker and the body of the phone was misplaced. I put both packings to their original place and then closed the phone.

During power on, I noticed some flicker on the screen which was unusual. Network connectivity worked fine and phone of the iPhone was working fine. Speakers sounded good too.

I turned on the camera and noticed no MTV effect. It showed perfect pictures but sometimes, it flickered. It also showed some screening effect similar to ones we see when we shoot a live TV. It would not matter much as long as camera produced good pictures. I clicked a picture of the "operation table" and then downloaded it on my computer to see if it came ok... and it did!
IMG_0438
So, I am a bit relieved that my iPhone is back in action. But I am still scared about the flicker during start up and the flicker during camera operation. I fear that this phone too now suffers with the similar syndrome I suffer with my loved ones... they fail to support me when I need them most...

No comments: